Monday, December 28, 2009

NGOs must Practice what they Preach

'All NGOs must Practice what they Preach'. I heard this sentence in a workshop and I strongly believe that this is very strong and important line. Most of the NGOs in this world are somewhere or somehow teaching moral values which are very meaningful for creating a better world. But what if they do not practice what they teach and promote among communities? For example, one NGO works in peace building and conflict resolution among communities but that particular NGO does not practice the basic values of 'peace' and conflict resolution within the internal team. This NGO teaches communities to create a space for dialogue between two groups or two individuals to reduce/solve conflict but does not provide a space to dialogue among each staff members for the same purpose within the office. In another example, an NGO works in the field of empowering community(s) to raise their voices for justice but that particular NGO does not create any opportunities for its staff members to grow financially and intellectually. What if the staff of this NGO are not empowered enough to raise their voices for justice within the office?


It is really easy to teach moral values to others but it is extremely difficult to practice them. Many times senior members of NGOs and activist do not even realize that in their daily behavior with colleagues, friends and family members, they do not practice those moral values which they teach to others. They design posters, organize events, take workshops and spend their entire life in teaching others to believe and practice 'equality' but in their personal life they hardly practice 'equality'. I am sure there are many so called human rights activist who fight with government and other groups for marginalized communities but then what do they do with same marginalized community of his/her own office?

I may sound very negative and sarcastic for many of my activist friends but being in the same field for last four years, I have come across so many incidents where these people who have spent their lives in empowering other people for their rights but in their personal or professional life they do not empower all those who work or live with them. I also accept that even I must have failed intentionally or unintentionally to practice all those values which I believe and fight for. I may talk about women empowerment and gender equality but at the same time I may discriminate my wife, mother and sister. I do believe in empowering people and specially youth but who knows how much space do I provide to my team to express their concerns and problems? Who checks and monitor how many values do I practice in my professional and personal life? I know that there are few values which are easy to monitor in daily operations but what about all those values which have to do with one's personal beliefs and practices? I am sure there are so many others like me who are not sure whether they preach what they practice.

It is a high time where NGOs must put strong systems and mechanisms in which practicing these core human values are monitored properly. It is so important that each and every member of these NGOs, starting from the newest to oldest employee, practice these values in their lives otherwise there is NO meaning in teaching moral values to communities and soon common people will lose faith in organizations.

"If you're asking your kids to exercise, then you better do it, too. Practice what you preach." - Bruce Jenner

"It would be dangerous territory if I wasn't practicing what I preach which is to always accept responsibility, always accept the consequences of your actions." - David Blunkett

"Practice rather than preach. Make of your life an affirmation, defined by your ideals, not the negation of others. Dare to the level of your capability then go beyond to a higher level." - Alexander Haig

Gaurang Raval

No comments:

Post a Comment